Scale mix-up in translations
Hi, here is my big problem:
-Page-ID(s): 2125486, 2125487 and all similar pages in subsequent filtered pages (variables EO, RV)
-Account name: adurand
-What is my request: I have created an English questionnaire, exported it in .xls using the language editor function, and imported back the translated questionnaire in French, Spanish, Mandarin and Russian. I have noted that the scales in the French version contained mistakes (some were displayed as undefined, others with items from other questions selected as part of the scale). The scales do not appear in the exported .xls file. So, I then corrected manually (very lengthy and time consuming) by changing the language by default to French. This worked until I changed again to correct the scales in Spanish and realized that the same errors were then appearing in the English version which was correct before.
-What I have done so far to help myself: 1. I have copied the project (ID: 353976) and suppressed all the languages but English. Then I have recreated the French language, exported the questionnaire, reimported the French translation, same problem occurs. 2. I’ve sent out the questionnaire in English only to pretest it but really need help to also send out the questionnaire with the 5 language options.
-Browsers I used: Mozilla Firefox
-Templates changed? I have built this questionnaire from scratch.
I need to finalize my questionnaire in 5 languages asap with the right scales and I do not know how to. It is quite urgent. Please help?
PS: I have noticed that the .xls file exported through the language editor contains 286 lines (the first 286 lines) from another project of mine. It is obviously a bug but did not seem to affect the imports of translated versions of the questionnaire so I did not care too much but maybe it does it and could explain the scale mix-up?
"#undefined#" is entered in any text element that is empty in the target language when changing the default language.
E.g. you change the default language from Englisch to French but in the French language some text elements (question titles, answer options etc.) are not translated yet. These empty fields will be filled with "#undefined#" as they do not have to be blank in the default language.
You should keep this in mind when changing the default language. To replace this text with the actual translation, you just can go back to the language editor >> text elements and translate the missing elements.
this behaviour is described in our EFS Survey manual in chapter "15.2.5 Setting the Active Default Language" >> grey box.
When wanting to translate your survey languages we suggest creating the survey in one desired language first and entering each and every text element that is needed.
Afterwards create further survey languages and export the .xls files to translate the languages.
Import the files back into EFS by using the languag editor again.
Please be aware that you do not have to change the default language to be able to import translations. If some translations are missing or incorrect, you can change them from within the Language editor >> Text elements. In there you can click on "view" and select all languages. Edit the corresponding pages that do not have been translated yet or that include incorrect/insufficient translations directly via this menu by clicking on "OK" or "Edit" next to the page and language.
The exported file indeed unfortunately does not include the scale options of question type "340". Though they still can be translated using the text element editor in the language editor.
When checking your project, I could see that it is a copy of another questionnaire and indeed still includes questions from the original questionnaire. You can find these questions in menu Questionaire editor >> Container questions. If you do not longer need these questions in the project copy, you simly can remove them in this menu.
Due to the fact that they still exist in the copy, they also will be included in the Excel file for translating the text elements. This is no bug.
You only may not have seen them in questionnaire editor as they are no normal questions but container questions.
Thank you so much for your very useful answer. I had missed the "view" option in Language editor/Text elements which is really an easy way to solve my problem. I am sorry for the delay in answering, I was busy making all the adjustements in the 5 languages but I could recently send it for pretest, and I am now very happy about that.
However, there are other issues such as the number of "undelivered" messages I can see from my mail box (but they do not appear undelivered in the statistics view of the survey). I will make a new post about this. Thank you again.
|Alle Zeitangaben in WEZ +1. Es ist jetzt 21:12 Uhr.|